I'm a moron and hooked up my starter battery cables, BACKWARDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a moron and hooked up my starter battery cables, BACKWARDS

Hey guys, I'm new to this soft water fishing, and to this forum. Thanks for having me. Well the other day after finishing up installing all new plywood, carpet, bilge pump, live well pump, rewiring the boat with new switches, and wiring, wiring ran though PVC pipe, from forward to aft. I hooked up my starter battery backwards. Well I heard hiss kinda sound and smelt burnt plastic. Anyone one else ever do this, and what do I replace? I'm no mechanic, but I'm mechanically inclined. My motor is a 1989 30 HP. E30TELCED. ( R 08275651 ). USA. Right now the motor does nothing when trying to start it. This an electric start motor. Thank you everyone.

The hiss no doubt was the charging rectifier blowing... it will not tolerate reverse polarity.

You probably also blew the 20 ampere power fuse that supplies voltage to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch.

The fuse is located in one of the small RED wires attached to the starter solenoid just a short distance from that solenoid.

Comment

Thanks Joe!!!! I hope this works!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
        Thanks Joe!!!! I hope this works!!!!!
        If it does, let us know, I've been looking forward to actually fixing one.

Comment

Working...
        X