Lower unit ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit ID

A buddy of mine bought a 1986 60hp Evinrude Model E60ELCDS engine that he said wouldn't go into reverse. Note: I'm just a backyard mechanic who has some experience with marine engines. It's had a different lower unit put on it by the previous owner due to him thrashing the original one. After a little troubleshooting I figure the shifter rod needed to be adjusted. Once I pull the lower unit I start looking for some sort of identification so I can figure out what measurement I need to set the rod height to, but I can't seem to find anything, plus I want to go ahead and change out the impeller and gaskets while I've got it off. Anybody have info on how I can determine what year/model lower unit this is? Also, if the original was a 15" transom unit and this is a 20" transom unit, will I ever get it to shift properly?

You could insert some pictures of that unit from different angles

For what it's worth, just in case....................

1986 - 60 = (L) 21-23/32" plus/minus 1/32" Have shift rod in neutral and offset to the port side.

Your last line states.... "Also, if the original was a 15" transom unit and this is a 20" transom unit, will I ever get it to shift properly?".... What do you mean "IF"? You have both units there... Did the replacement have a longer shift shaft than the original?

However if the replacement unit fits, it should just be a matter of installing the proper shift rod and adjusting it properly (hopefully we'll figure that out).

Comment

Thanks for the measurements on the shifter rod. My friend brought me the motor and boat, he is not the one who replaced the original trashed lower unit so I don't know if it was a 15" or 20" that was stock. I do not have the original. My main thing is I'm trying to find some identification number on the lower unit to ensure I order the correct parts for it.

Comment

Originally posted by phatboy1969 View Post
        Thanks for the measurements on the shifter rod. My friend brought me the motor and boat, he is not the one who replaced the original trashed lower unit so I don't know if it was a 15" or 20" that was stock. I do not have the original. My main thing is[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"][COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)" I'm trying to find some identification number on the lower unit[/COLOR][/COLOR] to ensure I order the correct parts for it.
        Okay, now I have a better understanding of your problem.

If you ever find a set of numbers on that gearcase to ID it, let me know. I've looked for many years at one time or another with no luck.

Comment

Working...
        X