Motor id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor id

I just bought an older pontoon boat and the motor ran when I bought it and now I can't get a spark on any plug.
    The motor is an Evinrude 85 HP v4.
    My problem is the model tag is missing and the freeze/casting plug numbers don't match any model charts I have found. The numbers on the plug are R3224022.
    I tried to post pics in an album but couldn't get it to work.
    I hope these pics will help someone id my motor.
    Thanks

Boat by William Netherland | Photobucket
    Last edited by skip289; 06-03-2016, 08:06 PM.

The pictures came through okay.

The (goId) hood is from a 1972 85hp V4 Evinrude.

The rest of the (blue) engine (dual flat design power-packs, VRO pump, slot type throttle linkage) coincides with a 1986 90hp V4 Evinrude.

Comment

All of the wiring diagrams I have found for the 1986 show two cd units and my motor only has one.
      Anyway I was mistaken about no plugs firing #1 & #2 are firing but not #3 & #4, I swapped coils and it didn't make any difference.
      I am thinking I need another cd unit. Does that sound right to you?
      Thanks for your help

Comment

Yes, that would be the route I'd take (pack)

I couldn't tell if your engine had one or two powerpacks and looking as close as possible, it sort of looked like two. A straight down photo would probably brought a different answer from me.

With one (flat type) powerpack, it looks more like a 1988 88 or 90hp model (flat baffle plate, slotted throttle linkage setup etc).

Comment

Yes I think you are right I found a 1988 wiring diagram that matches the colors on my motor.
          Thanks very much for your help, that and a troubleshooting guide I downloaded has helped me get this far. Now I will get a cd unit and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by skip289 View Post
            Yes I think you are right I found a 1988 wiring diagram that matches the colors on my motor.
            Thanks very much for your help, that and a troubleshooting guide I downloaded has helped me get this far. Now I will get a cd unit and see what happens.
            Let us know the end result.

Comment

Working...
            X