1982 35 hp wot problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 35 hp wot problems

I have a 82 35 hp. I've owned it for 3 years. It starts easy and runs great on the driveway. However when under a load it doesn't get full rpm and has low power at wot. Also when under a load it has a miss that is random at occurs about 30 seconds apart.
    I have done the following:
    1. Rebuilt and cleaned the carb
    2. It has fresh gas
    3. Replaced the gas tank, all the fuel lines, the gas fittings, the primer bulb
    4. Rebuilt the fuel pump
    5. Had the throttle cables adjusted by an outboard mechanic
    6. Replaced the plugs
    7. Replaced the coil and plug wires
    8. Replaced the reed valves
    9. I don't see any fuel leaks

Please help!

That 1982 35hp may sound like it's running okay on a flushette or a barrel but it's probably not.

Spark plugs should be Champion QL77JC4 plugs gaped at either .040 (hot spark) or .030 (long life)... your choice.

What is the compression PSI of both cylinders?

With the s/plugs removed, the spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does It?

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
    (J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

joe_omc32 | eBay

Comment

I am going to replace the plugs tomorrow, check the spark and check the compression.
      Ill post the results tomorrow evening.
      Thanks

Comment

The compression is 170 psi on both cylinders.
        The spark is great on the upper cylinder it easily jumped 1/2".

However the bottom cylinder has no spark at all. I swapped the coils and wires. The problem follows the coil. So it looks like I have a bad coil.

Let me know what you think.

Greatfish11

Comment

If the problem followed the coil... then yes, looks like a bad coil.

Comment

Working...
          X