1986 25hp kick back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 25hp kick back

I recently bought a 86 25 L/S rope start. It has not fired off. I pulled cyl head and replaced head gasket and thermostat. Checked inside and looked good. Has very good comp, 120 both cyl. When I pull it is very difficult and pulls out of my hand,, feels kickback.. Of course pulls easy when plugs are out and rotates lower end.. Everyone tells me needs electric start but I cannot imagine this model pulled like this when new. I had a 84 20hp prev and pulled very much easier.. Is this spark ,,timing? possible flywheel key broken? I have not pulled flywheel yet.. Help??

If that engine actually fires and yanks the pull start handle out of your hand, either the spark plug wires are crossed, the flywheel key is sheared, or you have too much throttle/spark advance applied.

Comment

flywheel removal next

Thank you for quick reply.. spark plug wires are fine, top to top bottom to bottom,, throttle was fine,, next is flywheel pull to chk key..Thanx again

Comment

Originally posted by rondoggr View Post
        Thank you for quick reply.. spark plug wires are fine, top to top bottom to bottom,, throttle was fine,, next is flywheel pull to chk key..Thanx again
        If the key should be your problem, make sure that the flywheel and crankshaft tapers are not gouged (clean as needed). Install the new key with the flat edge aligned straight up and down with the engine... NOT... with the crankshaft taper. Also torque the flywheel nut to factory specifications... just tightening it doesn't do it!

Comment

flywheel key

Awesome,,Thanx for thorough look,,, I am on this tomorrow..

Comment

sheared key

OK,, Finished this project yesterday.. It was a sheared flywheel key and out of time 180 degrees.. purchased new key shaved to fit, did water pump impeller,, linked and sync,timed,torqued to spec, new plugs, purged carb,, 2nd pull fired right off and ran like a dream.. Thanx to you and this forum for all insight. Put this motor on a 13ft avon/zodiac. money well spent,, neah bay, the sound, bouy ten, crabbing in 2 weeks,, pillage!!!! U guys rock... Ron

Comment

Working...
            X