Evinrude starts then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evinrude starts then dies

Thanks to Joe Reeves help my motor has been identified as a 1988 88 or 90 hp.
    After replacing the power pack I now have all 4 cyl firing with a nice blue spark.
    Now it starts up and dies in a second or two, after starting 3 or 4 times it just turns over but not starting.
    Now I need to figure out if it is still an ignition problem or fuel problem.
    I have no idea how long it has been since the engine ran smooth.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First make sure you still have spark via a normal spark test. If all is okay spark wise and the compression is normal... that leave the fuel system.

Make sure there's no water in the fuel. Drain some out of the carburetors for inspection.

Find the Fuel Primer Solenoid. The RED lever on top of it should be turned so that it points at the other end of the solenoid as follows.

(Fuel Primer Solenoid Function)
    (J. Reeves)

The RED lever...... The normal operating/running position is to have that red lever positioned over top of the solenoid and aimed at the other end of the solenoid, gently turned to its stop. This is the normal/automatic mode position. Pushing the key in opens the valve within the solenoid allowing fuel to pa$$ thru it in order to prime and start the engine. Looking upon this solenoid as a electric choke results in a better understanding of it.

Having that red lever turned in the opposite direction, facing away from the solenoid, allows fuel to flow thru it to the crankcase area. One would only turn the red lever to this position in a case where the battery might go dead and the engine had to be started via the rope pull method. Look upon putting the red lever in this position as moving a choke lever on a choke equipped engine to the full closed position. Either one would supply fuel to the crankcase/engine for starting purposes BUT if left in that position while running would flood the engine.

The later model primer solenoids are equipped with a schrader valve, used for attaching a pressurized can of fogging oil etc, available at your local dealership with complete instructions.

Pumping the fuel primer bulb up hard fills the carburetor float chambers of course, but that process also applies fuel pressure to the primer solenoid.

The two small hoses leading from the primer solenoid branch off via tees to each fuel manifold section that would feed fuel to the individual cylinders.

Pushing the key in activates the primer solenoid to allow fuel to flow thru it to the intake manifold pa$$ageways. Cranking the engine over causes the fuel pump to engage which in turn sends fuel pulses to the primer solenoid via the 3/8" fuel hose.

Some engines incorporates the "Fast Start" feature which automatically advances the spark electronically so no advance of the throttle is required for starting.
    Engines that do not have the "Fast Start" feature will be required to have the throttle advanced slightly.

Starting procedure: pump fuel bulb up hard, crank engine and push the key in at the same time. When the engine fires/starts, release the key so that it falls back to the run position.

Bottom line..... Look upon the primer solenoid as an electric choke.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

joe_omc32 | eBay

If the engine has been sitting for some length of time, in all probability the carburetors are fouled and will need cleaning and rebuilding. If so, pay particular attention to the horizontal high speed jets that are located in the bottom center of the float chambers... way in back of the float chamber drain screw plugs. Clean carefully with a piece of single strand wire as solvent just doesn't do that job properly.

Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by Joe Reeves; 06-12-2016, 07:17 AM.

Comment

The ignition seems good, I still have a good spark even when it won't start so I believe it is the carbs .
      I need a couple of rebuild kits if you might have them in your inventory.
      There is a number on top of each carb. 3343237-KN also on the front is 1 3/16
      here are some pics if that will help.
      If you have them let me know maybe I can get them in by this weekend.

Evinrude Carb by William Netherland | Photobucket

Comment

Sorry, when I first advertised I was selling off my remaining stock, carb kits and electrical/electronic items went out the door like a twister grabbed them.

Comment

Could you give me a part number for the kit if you have it.
          Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X