Throttle Link Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Link Replacement

Hi, I'm having an issue where the plastic throttle link is jumping off when going full throttle at the helm. When applying the throttle lightly there is typically no issue, but when I attempt to go full throttle the motor loses power. I can shift back to neutral and then back into gear and the problem is solved until I go full throttle again. I've tracked the issue to the throttle link jumping off on one end (on the motor), where it appears to be worn out. I've ordered a new part (0335595) for my 1996 OceanPro 150. Do I simply pop off the existing throttle link from it's connections (one end is firmly attached, the other end is loose, which jumps), or are there any other steps required beforehand? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I retired in 1991 so your engine's design and circuitry may be foreign to me, however..... I think you're speaking of the "Ball and Socket" setup that connects the weird shaped "L" linkage between the throttle arm and the timer base... and at full throttle one of those ball and socket connections jumps out of place which causes the timer base to retard the spark advance. If so, yes, just pop out the old and install the new.

BUT while you're at it, look closely and check to see WHY that is happening... a faulty plastic link connector OR is something clicking against the timer base due to loose flywheel magnets, worn top main bearing, whatever.

Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by Joe Reeves; 06-13-2016, 12:34 PM. Reason: worn "TO" main (sp), change to "TOP" main....

Comment

It sounds like you're describing the same components. It appears that the plastic on that end has just loosened and worn out over time and usage. I don't see anything else that could be causing it to come loose. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to post how it works out.

Comment

Working...
      X