Buy Evinrude Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1977 15hp Evinrude Overheated now won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 15hp Evinrude Overheated now won't start.

Ok, so I have a 15hp eveinrude. I have had this motor for several years and it has always ran great and been very easy to start. Long story short it sat outside for a couple of years and I decided to get it going again. Dumped all old gas and started fresh. Motor fired up second pull and after a few adjustments to the lean/rich knob she was running smooth as butter. Got it out on the water and same deal, fired right up. Had her running at idle for about 5 min then opened her up and headed out onto the lake. After maybe 3 min it started losing power and the motor stalled. Engine was hot and had some smoke coming from under the cowling. The water pump was complete smoked, impeller was in pieces. Rebuilt entire water pump and removed rubber pieces from lower unit. Looked like the lot of it was trapped in the exit water port on the lower unit. Found 1 wire from the coil pack that had small spot burnt thru. Fixed wiring and now she wont start. Pulled plugs, no water on them, pretty clean but dry. Installed new spark plugs anyways gaped at .030" Still no start. Checked spark, spark is great, nice hot blue spark on both plugs. Put a compression tester to it and have a solid 90 psi at both cylinders. Pulled flywheel to check key on shaft, all was fine and the stater looks great. So now I am thinking its not getting fuel to the spark plugs. I have pulled it over several times trying to start it and the new plugs are very dry as well. Fuel pump is working, pulled over with hose at carb disconnected. Getting fuel that far. I did find a spot in the fuel line to the carb that got a little melted, possible pin hole sucking air? What else could i be missing? Carb is probably dirty from sitting but like i said it fired right up no problem with fresh fuel before the over heat happened. What am I missing?

chk compression

If it was me I would do compression chk to make sure I did not blow head gasket ..Would also chk thermostat while I was there..

Comment

Make sure that the head bolts are tight... torqued to factory specifications in the following sequence. When overheated to the extent you speak of, those bolts are quite loose regardless of what compression reading you might obtain.

Sitting for that length of time, there would be debris within the carburetor that has by coincidence just broke loose. Remove, clean and rebuild that carburetor. Be sure to manually clean the bra$$ high speed jet that is screwed into the extreme lower portion of the nozzle of the upper body as solvent just doesn't do that job properly.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
      (J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X