Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of power after stator fix.

Ok, so my 1990 Evinrude 120 hp.
    After replacing the stator it lost power it wont even get on plane. I have spark on all 4 cyl, but it sounds like its missing. I.must have done something while changing the stator (hopefully). Does taking the flywheel off change the timing?

If the engine ran okay before you replaced that stator, then yes, I agree that you must have missed something. Double check all connections... screw terminal tight... color coded wires in the proper location, pins and sockets in rubber plugs inserted fully and wire still firmly attached?

Removing the flywheel does not change the timing. However it is most important that the flywheel nut be torqued to factory specifications (not sure of specs but think it is 145 foot pounds... check into it).

If the NUT IS NOT torqued properly, the flywheel key will shear resulting in the engine being out of time along with damage to the flywheel and crankshaft taper. Note that if the key shears, the engine will no run at all!

Comment

Ok, ..stator wires are correct, all connections tight, fire on all cyl. , I checked all 4 ignition coils they are reading what they should. Fuel bulb stays tight, all jets on all 4 carbs are spitting good, butterflies are opening. Still sounds to be missing. It runs fine in a hose but when I take it out in water under load it bogs down. Water is cool from pee hole. I did notice the boots from power pack to coil are cracked could this be grounding out and cause this?

Comment

UPDATE....I removed the fuel pump and everything seems to be good. Now all of a sudden it seems to be getting worse. There is constant alarm that confess on even when the boat hasn't ran all day. Also. It's a rough idle but will run good with choke on. All 4 carbs are removed and I'm gna clean tonight. Am I on the right track? What about this alarm?
        Last edited by dbeasley36042; 07-02-2016, 08:31 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

If applying the choke results in the engine smoothing out.... yeah, something is wrong within the carburetors.

What do you mean... you removed the fuel pump? That engine will not run without a fuel pump, and I a$$ume it's a VRO pump?

You state "There is constant alarm that confess on even when the boat hasn't ran all."... I don't know what that means.

Comment

I removed fuel pump to check for dirt or diaphragm cracks, all looks good. Research that I have found says my alarm is bad. After further inspection of carbs they were clean and floats working properly I found a piece called fuel manifold? It was cracked. I'm currently waiting for its arrival. Hope that fixes everything. I'll get back with results.

Comment

Sounds like the timing advance is not advancing properly. Did you cinch a cable down to tight maybe?

On the throttle lever side, there is a lever that runs up near the flywheel and has an adjuster with a rubber stopper on it. At about 2/3rd throttle, it should be against that stopper.

Comment

Working...
              X