Stiff shift rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff shift rod

Maybe some of you can help me I have a 1993 evinrude 40hp. was parked under shed 2 yrs ago. was running fine when it was parked. Wouldn't cfank yesterday so I rebuilt carbs, checked water pump, lower unit oil, and she fired right up and ran good. Went to put in gear and nothing. Thought shift cable may be froze up but when I removed cable and tried to shift by hand it was really hard. could manage to get in gear but it took some effort. I'm just wondering what may be the cause of the shift rod being so stiff. I know setting up for long periods is a bad thing but the oil in the lower unit still looked like it was brand new. any ideas as what to try? thanks

That's usually caused by the shift lever shaft being squeezed by corrosion. I retired in 1991 so I may not be familiar with the 1993 design, however, it'll need to come apart to be cleaned and greased.

Comment

Hey joe
      Thanks for the reply. Would the corrosion be where the shift rod slides through the plastic housing? I wouldn't think it would be gears or anything serious it's just really hard to get into gear. I have the lower unit off now and when I engage the rod by hand it's pretty stiff. I'll try and clean it and see what's goin on. I also noticed the manual tilt ***ist would not release and I was forced to remove pin to get motor high enough to drop unit.

Comment

Working...
      X