150 to 175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 to 175

I have a 1991 150 XPS w/VRO. It runs great except it goes through gas like crazy. I don't expect great mileage with this motor, but it shouldn't be over 2x as bad as my 90 was.

Anyway. I bought it second hand and have gone through the carbs, the jet unit, new spark plugs, reconnected the VRO, previous owner had disconnected it and was mixing the fuel 25:1. I connected the VRO back up and still mixed the fuel 50:1 for the first tank just to make sure the VRO was working properly. It was, so I'm running straight gas in it now.

The last trip I burned 40 gallons getting to the cabin and back, with the 90, I typically would burn right at 18 gallons. And I noticed quite a bit of gas coming out of the front of the carbs.

So I started troubleshooting and started with the jets. The Jets in the motor are 65C, but for a 150 HP, they are suppose to be 56C. For a 175HP the stock is 61C.

So this led me to the question, why would the previous owner put 65C's in this motor?

My only conclusions so far are:

1. He was dyslexic and read the number wrong. 65 vs 56.

2. He thought he could replace the jets and make it a 175.

3. He thought he needed to up the jet size to compensate for the 25:1 oil mix.

So on #2, it made me wonder what else is changed to make it a 175 and if there was a way I could check and see if that was what they were attempting.

The only thing I was told is that the carbs had been gone through and they replaced the head gaskets.
Working...
X