79 evinrude engine shakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 evinrude engine shakes

My 1979 evinrude 35hp engine has a stuttering jolt when running. Kind of a shake to it. The only way i can Describe it is like when a dog is trying to rip a chew toy out of your hand and jerks his head side to side. Wondering what to check first.
    Last edited by jerrystarcraft; 07-08-2016, 08:39 AM.

Is this a constant shaking or just a shaking that takes place occasionally.... and does it shake at all rpms or just various rpms?

If only at the higher rpms and not constant... does it fell like the engine is hitting a submerged object from time to time?

Comment

Its at all rpms. Doesnt have an up and down shake its more a side shake. I could probably put a hoola hoop on it and it would swing it. Its constant too not just random shakes.

Comment

Is that when the prop is not turning too? Meaning, it is in neutral.

My first reaction is a prop out of balance or maybe the gears are sticky.

Comment

Grip the engine by the rear portion of the cavitation plate (just above the propeller).

See if you can move (jerking) the engine excessively front to back or side to side (testing the motor mounts).

With the engine running, and using insulated pliers, remove one spark plug lead at a time to see if you get the same response from both cylinders.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

Thanks Joe, I'll try it out this week and let you know what happens.

Comment

I lined up the shift rod perfectly with the grooves and I have forward gear again! Thanks Joe! Man it really is just a matter of millimeters on shift linkage. I'll let you know when I look into the motor shake. For now I just want to savor this small victory.

Comment

Working...
              X