Rebuilding 15hp evinrude tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding 15hp evinrude tips

So I have an 1981 15hp evinrude with low compression 60lbs in each cylinder I was planning on rebuilding it. Has anyone ever done this before, any tips. I've rebuilt small engines before but never an out board just wondering if it's worth my time. Thanks

Originally posted by kds13007 View Post
    I have an 1981 15hp evinrude with low compression 60lbs in each cylinder I was planning on rebuilding it. Has anyone ever done this before, any tips. I've rebuilt small engines before but never an out board just wondering if it's worth my time. Thanks
    The compression is relevant to the speed of which the flywheel is turned, however if it is being turned at what we would call normal... then yes, that's a pretty low reading. The fact that you're getting the exact same reading in both cylinders is strange... not a common occurrence. A possibility is that perhaps just the head gasket is failing at a point just between the cylinders enabling a criss-cross scenario.

Yes, I've rebuilt probably a hundred of the 9.9hp or 15hp models over the years and they were always a worthwhile project. After all, the alternative is just to throw them away.

As to whether it's worth your time or not... what are you figuring on paying yourself? I had a business owner tell me one time that he would pay me what I was worth... Hell, I couldn't live on that!

Comment

Working...
    X