Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 225 vro?

HELLO.
    i have a 97 evinrude E225CXEUD and i am getting it ready to place on my 86 wellcraft v20. When i purchased it (used), the previous owner said i have to premix my gas. i was wondering if this engine has a vro/fuel pump. i enclosed the factory parts list diagram, photo of my fuel pump and another diagram from a web site.
    Also can i use the VRO tank, hoses and wiring from a 85 johnson 150 engine.
    thanks
    jet
    Attached Files

I'm somewhat confused as to what the question is, BUT the two diagrams show a VRO pump as does the picture of the engine. THe engine had to be converted to pre-mix for a reason... SO... it wouldn't be a good idea to be back tracking to that present VRO.

Comment

First, thanks for the quick response, my 97 e225 fuel pump has two large lines going into the bottom of the pump. one line(10 and 8) is in the front of the pump and is attached to a inline fuel filter (11).
      The second line (19) is behind the fuel and is attached to the bottom center of the crankcase.
      The third line ( 21,31) on top of the pump goes to the primer and to carburetor.

Question one: is this a factory pump without VRO? because i see no oil line from oil tank, and the parts diagram is for a 97 E225 . the previous owner didn't give me a VRO oil tank either.

Question two: i have a VRO tank with lines and wiring, that came from a 85 150 johnson, but was seized from non use. Is this tank interchangeable if it turns out the pump is not a VRO pump and later on i decide to buy a VRO fuel pump. hope this clarifies my question.
      thanks again
      jet
      Attached Files

Comment

Not sure, but base on the 1997 factory service manual and Secloc manual, Commercial 200 series engines did not come with the VRO option. i think that's why i don't have a oil line to fuel pump.

Comment

The pump is a VRO pump that has been converted to gasoline only.
          Normally, the oil line will be plugged at the engine cover pan... resulting in only one (Gasoline) line going to the engine.

Bottom large hose leading to crankcase = Pressure hose to operate VRO.
          Bottom large hose leading to hood pan = Gasoline. (Functional)
          Bottomsmall hose leading to pan = Oil. (Non-functional/Plugged)

One large hose on top: Fuel flow to carburetors, etc.

If you intend to convert back to a VRO setup, purchase a new VRO.

The oil tank you speak of is 12 years old. The warning horn length of sounding time may be different when the oil level drops to 1/4 tank. You could try it, let the oil level drop to 1/4 tank and see what warning you get.

Here are the instructions to convert a VRO setup to a premix system. Reverse engineer the instructions to convert back to a VRO setup.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
          (J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

joe_omc32 | eBay

(Priming The VRO Pump)
          (J. Reeves)

When hooking up or installing a VRO whether it is a new or original VRO pump, it must be primed in order to dispel any air that might be in the oil line.

Have the Oil line attached to the engine fitting BUT detached from the VRO. Add a piece of fuel hose if necessary to the oil line so that it can be aimed into some sort of container.

Pump the oil primer bulb, catching the oil flowing out of the line into the container until you are absolutely sure that you have rid the oil line of every bit of air that might have been trapped there.

Now, connect the oil line to the VRO and secure it. When the oil line is secured, apply pressure to the oil primer bulb ONE TIME only. That's it.
          Last edited by Joe Reeves; 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM.

Comment

hi Joe
            here are some better pictures of my fuel pump.
            thanks again for your input and the information of installation of a VRO
            JET
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X