Odd ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd ignition problem

I have a 1967 33hp ski twin on my reconditioned 1970 riviera cruiser pontoon boat. First trip out this summer she was running better than ever. 2nd trip out i lost spark to top cylinder. Checked cut out switch and that was fine. Pulled flywheel and found one coil with lower resistance than other so i installed new coil and plug wires at that time. I also installed new points while i was at it. Put back in water and still had dead cylinder. I found that unhooking the kill wire to the top cylinder coil would allow it to run on both cylinders. The black wire that goes to the M terminal on switch was showing closed or grounded. I disconnected it near the starter where it had a plastic connector. Now she ran on both cylinders but now motor is being stubborn to start and never was. Even with one cylinder you only had to bump key and she fired right up! Is there something im missing by unhooking the one kill wire that is causing hard start? Havent tested the switch yet to see if it is whats grounding out the one side or if the wire itself is grounded somewhere...please help!
Working...
X