Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Bogging Issue

THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!

My 1989 88spl is bogging down while under load. I have cleaned and rebuilt carbs, new power pack, new plugs and wires, new rectifier, compression tested both wet and dry all within 10% of 125, replaced thermostats and gaskets in housing. the motor idles fine but less than a minute on plane about 2500 RPM it is bogging down. I have no idea what to check next! this boat sat for many years before I took ownership. Ran great for the three months I used last year and the first use this year but since then EPIC FAILS EACH WATER TEST!
    Last edited by Barry0313; 08-17-2016, 01:57 AM.

At the present time...... Does this engine obtain full throttle and run some length of time before this problem pops up... OR... Does the engine bog out and want to die out as you apply throttle?

If when you cleaned the carburetors... If you did not carefully and manually clean the high speed jets that are located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber (way in back of the drain screws) with a piece of single strand steel wire, do so as solvent just doesn't do that job properly.

Comment

Hi Joe the thanks for the reply. This only starts happening after the boat get to normal operating temp and it initally will get up on plane then About 2500 to 3000 rpm it will start bogging out ever time I try to go after that. If I go back to neutral it doesn't stall. I will pull the carbs again just to double check. The only thing I haven't done is replace the fuel line ***embly.

Comment

Barry,
        I had the same problem with a 1990 90hp. It would get up to 23-2500 and bog down but only under load, starts, idles and free revs fine, spent a lot of time and money with a few local mechanics who were baffled and couldn't figure out the problem. I finally took it to a Evinrude dealer a couple months ago, who had it for 3 weeks.
        It sounds like you've gone through the obvious possible problems so hopefully this helps.
        Everything on mine had been checked or replaced at least once, short of a complete rebuild. The crank has seals between each cylinder, I can't remember what they're called but they're not the main top and bottom seals. One or more of mine are apparently bad and I'm not getting enough vacuum through the bottom carb under load. It's not a common problem from what I'm told, but does require a lot of work to fix. In my case I might as well do a full rebuild at this point.
        Unfortunately my intake gasket and p***ages were fine but might be something to check on yours as a last resort.
        Good luck and let me know what you find out.

Comment

Thank you for your help. I really hope it not the seals you are suggesting. Do you know if there is anyway to check for this prior to me taking to a mechanic? It his is my first boat and I am learning as I go about working on an outboard motor.

Comment

I have the exact same year and hp motor. The story is pretty much the same that the motor has been setting for a few years. It is doing the exact same thing bogging down when throttled up after it gets worm. I pulled the plugs and noticed there is a little liquid gas on all four. Please post any results you find with your motor. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X