E-Tech starts on top cylinder, smokes then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Tech starts on top cylinder, smokes then dies

Ran Great - Next morning only top cylinder ran for a moment then dies. It is like the run slow mode. No codes ... have spark both cylinders ... has clean fuel and clear fuel lines. Is my EMM Broke?

Model number?

The smoke you mention.... if it is whitish, that suggests "water".

Check the compression to see if a head gasket might have failed.

Check the fuel... drain a carburetor, checking for water contamination.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mr. Reeves ...

1. Model ... E30DTLISC ... 2013 tiller E-Tec 30hp ... originally bought rope pull tiller model then I put on an electrical start.

2. Spark - Both plugs have spark

3. Fuel - no contaminated fuel, disconnected, drained and cleaned the fuel vapor chamber. checked the system for blockage and pumped fuel thru it all.

4. Am beginning to suspect the fuel pumping system. Upon inspection the plugs are wet. Cranking the engine and removed from the head they visibly spark just fine. The way the engine started compression locking at start up causes me to wonder if the timing has advanced somehow. Is that possible?

History. Engine run fine the day before it failed, I replaced the water pump impellor and changed spark plugs three days before failure (3 engine hours). Starting the engine electrically has changed from what it did before. It used to just immediately spin up and run. The past month the engine would sort of compression halt after a rotation, then start like an old Chevy that had its timing too far advanced. Sort of "Rear Rear" (halt) "Berrooom". Where as before it just jumped into smooth run mode. Now it runs on the top cylinder only ... smokes ... fires off 5 strokes and dies. Undo the bottom plug "Fires off the same 5 strokes" ... Replace bottom plug wire, Undo top wire - No fire at all. So only the top plug runs, the bottom plug has spark, but no combustion. ??? EMM??? Injector??? Fuel pump???

Have not checked compression ... exhaust is old school carburetor engine blueish ... g***y slick rainbow on the water ... head gasket huh? HMM. I am at a small Island in the Grenadines, Union Island. I'll get with the local mechanics and have the compression checked. If you don't think it is an EMM or Injector problem then a local old school Outboard guy can help out. Otherwise these Yamaha Enduro "Carberator " guys look at my EMM and say they can't help me.
      Last edited by andybaldwins; 08-29-2016, 02:03 PM. Reason: Missed reply info

Comment

Working...
      X