power problem solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power problem solved

I have a 2007 etec 115hp that we have had numerous issues with. The initial problem was that the motor would take anywhere from 5 to 15 starting attempts when cold to start and stay running.

3 years ago thru this forum I read of another similar problem where this occurred and it was the exhaust valve stuck or broken. the problem can be resolved by tipping the motor out of the water to start then drop back after it starts.

now to the other issue. 3 years ago I took the boat to the dealer and explained what I had read with respect to the exhaust valve and in fact tipping out of the water does work for us, and continues to 3 years later.

starting on the trailer out of the water is never an issue..I explained it must have the backpressure of water for the problem to show itself.
    A week later i picked up the motor and was told there is nothing wrong with it. starts and runs perfectly. back at camp, wont start in the water.

New problem...once started now, the engine was gutless, lacked power and we struggled for 3 years now to get the boat to plane with even a medium load. The problem started when the dealer serviced it.. and OH.. I forgot to mention, when I picked the boat up the dealer indicated he upgraded the firmware and that should fix any issues. The boat was in multiple times complaining of this, nobody has solved it or even admit there is any issue.

finally 2 months ago (3 years after the firmware upgrade and my power issue) I ordered the Diagnostic software and cable, along with a new TPS which was loose and worn out and i hoped could be my problem. When replacing the tps I calibrated it, and noticed there was a timing section in the software. I entered and adjusted the timing up 2 degrees at idle without saving changes. the motor idled so much better it was astonishing.
    So now Im thinking ....and I go to the digital shop manual I also have and research how to time the engine. low and behold... what do i see.. "when upgrading the firmware you must retime the engine". Could it be the dealer caused all this when i took it in originally ?.. short answer is yes.

I returned with my timing light, verified TDC, then checked. When the timimg goal was specified at 13 deg, the actual timing was 8 deg. It was out by a full 5 deg. I adjusted, and now, after 3 years of frustration and lugging the engine and trips up and down the lake when I could not even get the boat to plane, its now back. I do have one cylinder over the last 2 years with lower compression, possibly because the engine has been running with retarded timing for 3 years. I am very frustrated and disappointed in the abilities of local shops (more than one). I am very mechanical, but it blows my mind that this was done to me, and makes me wonder how many other customers in the exact same situation for many many years...and that if i could solve it researching myself...how come they could not after all the return trips.
Working...
X