48spl lean sneeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48spl lean sneeze

have big problem with lean sneeze killing engine at idle. worse when running on hose. happens right at first start or warmed up. coming back thru carbs. I have rebuilt carbs including core plugs and small wire thru all p***ages. Link-n-sync best i can. new spark plugs gapped at .030 or .040. compression 140+, all fuel lines tie wrapped or hose clamps. I guess next i'll try all new fuel lines to eliminate air leaks. 1987 48 SPL any suggestions or little secrets to end this problem. have read 2 other forums for a couple of years and there has never been a clear reason for this sneeze that i can find.

With engine idling and sneezing, stick two fingers into the carburetor throats, one carburetor at a time, acting as a manual choke to richen the fuel flow.

When/if the engine smooths out somewhat, you've found a offending carburetor.

On that model... I can't remember if the idle jets meter air or fuel. If air, closing the ID some richens the mixture.... if fuel, closing the ID leans it out.

Comment

thanks joe, will try to run engine after work today

Comment

got it idling fine, one carb was slightly open, disconnected linkage between carbs to make sure each butterfly was closed and it ran good, my link-n-sync adjustments need some practice, will use the 2 finger technique if she acts up again

Comment

Glad to hear that your problem was a small one.

Comment

Working...
          X