No announcement yet.

86 40 hp Shift shaft bend direction????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 40 hp Shift shaft bend direction????

Shift shaft upper bend direction???? What direction should it point on re***embly of lower unit after water pump repair. ---- I think it points toward the water pump-----would like a professional opinion. ---lotta work to to change it if I get it wrong!!!!!!!

And did you know that the height measurement of the shift rod is very critical. One turn out of whack will screw up the shift. Make sure the measurement is exact!

1986 - 40, 45, 50, 55hp = (S) 15-29/32" - - (L) 40, 45, 50, 55hp = 20-29/32" plus/minus 1/32" Have the shift rod in neutral and the offset to the rear.

Comment

shift rod length

Joe----no---- did not know about shaft length untill after posting-----The numbers you posted-----can I ***ume the length is measured from lower unit split point tooooo centerline of hole in upper offset .

Have got some measurements from YOU TUBE--- I;ll double check but 21 inch and 21/32 is their number with motor in FORWARD checked at hole center line to edge of case split.

Comment

Yes.... From top of lower unit surface to center of shift hole.

No.... Do not adjust rod length while in forward!

My measurement and directions are direct from a OMC bulletin!

Comment

shifter adjustment

lower unit was 80% reinstalled when I first posted-----shift shaft was not properly adjusted ------it was obvious something was wrong----neutral was no longer neutral----thought maybe I had shift shaft clocked 180 degrees off. ------Will have to pull it again to adjust shaft length-----shaft was clocked right but length is wrong-----THANG GOD FOR THE INTERNET!!!!!!

hOPE TO GET IT DONE 1/1/17 -----IT'S cold here!!!!
          will post results---thanx to ALL

Comment

Originally posted by jdb21867 View Post
            lower unit was 80% reinstalled when I first posted-----shift shaft was not properly adjusted ------it was obvious something was wrong----neutral was no longer neutral----thought maybe I had shift shaft clocked 180 degrees off. ------Will have to pull it again to adjust shaft length-----shaft was clocked right but length is wrong-----THANG GOD FOR THE INTERNET!!!!!!

hOPE TO GET IT DONE 1/1/17 -----IT'S cold here!!!!
            will post results---thanx to ALL
            For the past week or so and predicting the same weather to continue, it's been in the low 80's here.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Reeves View Post
              For the past week or so and predicting the same weather to continue, it's been in the low 80's here.
              That is not even funny

Comment

Working...
              X