50 hp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 hp question

Hi. New to the forum. I own a 1995 Evinrude E50TLEOD. When I bought the pontoon the lower unit was out of it. The gears were chipped on the edges, the pinion bearing was cut by the pinion gear, the thrust bearing was completely chewed up and the bearing cap was gouged inside from a spinning thrust washer. I bought new parts online and was dry fitting everything together and the new bearing cap won't go down all the way. It has a 1/8 inch gap between the bearing housing and the driveshaft. If you do tighten it down you can't turn anything. I ran all the part numbers and everything is right except the bearing housing. The one that should be on it according to exploded manual is 435274. The one that was on it when I received it was 332496. The one I ordered and came from online ebay dealer was 338050. I called Evinrude and they tell me that 435274 is the part number and that 338050 is a different bearing. The guy from eBay is arguing with me telling me that 338050 is a casting number and it is the same as 435274. Does anyone else know for sure if 435274 and 338050 is the same housing. Also on this shim tool 334984 that measures for the right amount of shims, can it be used without the expensive hlder. I've had 1 mechanic tell me that you have to have the 500 dollars holder and I've had 2 mechanics tell me that they have used just the tool without the holder. They said the holder came out long after the tool did and that's the way it used to be done. Thanks.

E50TLEOD = 1995 50hp Evinrude

Unfortunately I retired in 1991 and do not have the parts book on hand, however since you supplied the part number information, I am able to supply the following information via a Bombardier "2010" Master Parts Price Book that was supplied to me by a friendly dealership.

Part #338050 = "Housing & Bearing" priced at $132.47

Part #435274 = "Driveshaft Bearing Housing & Seal" priced at $84.18

Both are part numbers... Neither are casting numbers.
    Prices are from the same book and are of different values.
    The parts are not interchangable, therefore different in some manner.

Summary: The seller is mistaken. The part (338050) is wrong.

I hope this helps you somewhat.

Comment

Thank you. I googled and went to marineengine.com and even called an authorized Evinrude dealer. I was seeing the same as you. Evinrude told me that 338050 does not supercede any other number. When I purchased this boat and motor and tore it apart and noticed the thrust bearing under the bearing housing was completely detroyed and only chunks of it left, I couldn't believe that it would've had enough up pressure to explode the thrust bearing and the thrust washer eat into the bearing housing. When I took the pinion gear off , all the needle bearings fell out of the pinion bearing. Evidently someone has put the 332496 cap on and cranked it down and I'd say the thrust bearing didn't last 5 minutes. I kow the owner told me they purchased that lose unit from Stewart Florida at a take off yard and used it 3 times before it quit working. So, I guess we bearing cap that was on it and the one I was shipped are also wrong. The 338050 and the 332496 look identical. I'll order a 435274. Does anyone know if you're able to use the shim tool 334984 by itself. I've heard from several people that's how it used to be done. Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Grtrnd1 View Post
        Does anyone know if you're able to use the shim tool 334984 by itself. I've heard from several people that's how it used to be done. Thanks for the help
        Ask that question on the MarineEngine.com site. I suspect one of the other members there will have the answer. (Joe)

Comment

Working...
        X