2000 Ficht Starter and Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Ficht Starter and Alternator

Took my 2000 Ficht 200HP & b*** boat to Canada for vacation. Launched onto lake, fired up and took two 20 minute rides up the lake. Fished for couple hours and tried to startup to come in & the starter just spun- no fire. Connections were clean and tight so I charged new blue Optimum batteries overnight. Next morning, 15amp onboard charger indicated full charge. Turned key, same thing- high spin whine. In talking with lake marina mechanic, he thought either the batteries were not charged, dirty connections, or starter's "bendix" ***embly was fouled. Questions:
    1. Wouldn't the fouled bendix ***embly or starter show up with diagnostics?
    2. Why wouldn't the Ficht's alternator recharge crank battery on two 20 minute runs up the lake?
    3. Need to find qualified Evinrude mechanic in SW Ohio?
    Thanks - TD

I retired before the Ficht" engine was manufactured so I have no knowledge of its design... however, that electric starter bendix problem is a common one.

From what you've said I a$$ume that the starter bendix just spins away at a high rpm BUT does not raise and engage the flywheel teeth?

There are some electric starters that are able to rotate in the opposite direction if reverse polarity is applied.

Is it possible that you have either installed your battery backwards... OR possible charged the battery backwards (yes, that's a common error), and if so..... the electric starter is running in the wrong direction (forcing the bendix down).

Also, if so... that reverse polarity would have destroyed the rectifier portion of the water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier a$$embly., which in turn would have knocked out the charging system.... and the tachometer if one exists.

Normal rotation, looking straight down at the bendix, when engaged, it should turn counter clockwise in order to crank the flywheel in a normal clockwise rotation.

Comment

We had run the boat (Triton TR20) 3 times up and down the lake- it started fine. My daughter and I then moved closer to our cottage to fish a couple islands- started fine. After about 40 minutes, I tried to start the motor up to come in and that is when we heard the fast RPM whine of the starter. So I don't think it is installed or charged backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Triton Dave View Post
        We had run the boat (Triton TR20) 3 times up and down the lake- it started fine. My daughter and I then moved closer to our cottage to fish a couple islands- started fine. After about 40 minutes, I tried to start the motor up to come in and that is when we heard the fast RPM whine of the starter. So I don't think it is installed or charged backwards.
        Agreed.... not likely that could take place by itself.

If that starter armature is spinning at a normal rate in a counter clockwise direction with a fully charged battery as you state, that bendix should raise and engage the flywheel teeth.

It's always possible that the starter has suddenly failed and is not turning at the normal speed or something has moved and blocked the bendix gear.

Comment

I have taken this to be gone over by a qualified Evinrude dealer. I will report back on their findings. Thanks TD

Comment

2000 Ficht Starter- Update 7/22/17

Update from Evinrude mechanic- motor's starter was shot and needed replaced. The good news is that the alternator & charging system was operating properly. From what I was told, the Ficht motors in general are extremely hard on starters. I feel fortunate that this is the first one replaced on 17 years. Hope I did not just jinx myself?!

Comment

Working...
            X