piston stop tool depth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piston stop tool depth?

I have an evinrude/johnson 2001 FFI model E250FOXSIF. I have a piston stop tool but i can not find reference of how deep to set the tool into the cylinder to set the Timing. The tool of course is adjustable.

I have a service manual (plus the EV software) and it only gives a part number for the tool in instructions in the manual on setting the TDC

This tool is to check (and adjust if necessary) the timing pointer, which should define the TDC position of the #1 piston in the engine. The tool is adjustable, so it can be used on a wide variety of engines.

Install the tool in the #1 (top) cylinder spark plug hole. Turn the engine CW by hand until the piston touches the pin in the tool. If this position is more than 1" from the timing pointer, reduce the depth of the pin in the tool and repeat this step. Put a mark on the flywheel at the timing pointer.

Now rotate the engine CCW by hand until the piston touches the tool again, and mark the flywheel. Measure the distance between these two marks, and put another mark at the half-way point between the two marks. This mark should align with the TDC mark on the flywheel.

IF the mark does NOT align to the TDC mark on the flywheel, remove the tool and rotate the engine to align the pointer TO THE MARK. Your engine is now positioned at the TRUE TDC position. Adjust your timing pointer to be exactly on the TDC mark on the flywheel.

Comment

Working...
    X