No announcement yet.

Evinrude 20 hp not running smooth at idle or 1/4 throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't get to work on it until probably Sunday. I will check your suggestions out and see if I can find the issue. I hope a lose or frayed wire is all it is.

Comment

I could not find any issues with any wires.
      I am have trouble verifying the cam roller position. This is a pic with my throttle turned all the way down to idle position. Should the cam roller be positioned between the two notches (circled area) when throttle is in idle position? As you can see mine is not. Or is this how it should be? Just wondering if this is cuasing my idle problem.

Comment

With the engine NOT running.....................

Either the roller a$$embly OR the cam itself is adjustable.

Have the roller backed away from the cam altogether.

Make sure that the throttle butterfly is completely closed.

Now, adjust the cam or roller, whichever the case may be, so that the butterfly just starts to open when the mark on the cam is dead center with the roller.

Comment

As I turn the throttle, the roller moves towards the cam and meets the notches and that is when the butterfly starts to open. Now I think that is what you are saying should happen. So that all should be right. If I turn the throttle just a bit it idles just fine. But if I put the throttle back to idle position, it will run rough and die. When I worked on a car back in the day (the 1980's), I would adjust the idle and mixture screws to fix this. This motor has no idle screw.

Comment

Working...
          X