Buy Evinrude Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabling VRO on 2003 90hp Ficht- Which electrical connector to disconnect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling VRO on 2003 90hp Ficht- Which electrical connector to disconnect?

Hi,
    I would like to disable the VRO and pre-mix my fuel instead.
    My manual states how to do this but says that i should 'Disconnect the VRO pump's 4 pin Amphenol connector'.
    I cannot find a 4 pin connector anywhere other than on the rear of the engine (which stops the engine from running when disconnected anyway)

Can anybody help with this please?
    I can only imagine that the manual is not referring to my exact engine in which case which connector should i be looking to disconnect?
    Many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Chip
    Southampton
    UK

The 4 pin connector you speak of...... Follow the wires from the rear of the VRO to its connector... this is the 4 pin connector spoken of.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
    (J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply Joe, much appreciated.
      I shall have a look this weekend and hopefully get it sorted

Comment

Joe,
        I still can't find the 4 pin connector as stated in the Clymer manual . There is a two pin connector behind the fuel pump but disconnecting that does not take the engine out of safe / limp mode. I spoke to an Evinrude engineer this week who has worked on them for years and he claims that my engine, 2003 Ficht 90hp fuel injection cannot be converted to pre-mix. He says that the comments within the manual are probably referring to the old carburetor models as opposed to my fuel injected model.
        I'm really confused now and would really appreciate your views on this please. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
        Best regards
        Chip

Comment

Chip..... My previous post reply normally covers the entire process... however I did retire prior to the "Ficht" engine being manufactured and that may be the one engine that does not follow suit on the VRO conversion as the other engine models.

As such, taking that into consideration, I would suggest that you "copy/paste" your original post, which is well worded, into one or both of the following Evinrude/Johnson forum sites. I'm sure that my fellow members there will have the answer for you. My apologies for not being able to help further.

MarineEngine.com ..... iBoats.com

Comment

Working...
          X