1972 100HP Evinrude- no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 100HP Evinrude- no start

Yes, I have an oldie, which until recently was also a goodie. Now, when I turn the key, I hear NOTHING- no clicks, whines, whirs, etc. The remote control is a Yohnson Hydro Electric single lever shift. The choke switch does close the butterflys. For diagnostic purposes, I am thinking I should start with the ignition switch, then solenoid, then starter. Is that correct? What should I look for at the switch? I ***ume there is different power when the switch is on (as opposed to the start position), but how do I test it? (I do have a digital multimeter).

Also, I know I am going to have to replace the battery soon. What specs should I look for in a battery? The current battery is an automotive 12 volt. What are the pros and cons of a marine battery?

Thanks!

ony edwards

before you start tearing everything apart, check the fuse on the powerhead. it should be located in a red or black fuse holder if i remember corectly, it is either located near cyl. head or near starter solenoid. be sure you are getting power thru the holder. have seen many times fuse is good and holder is dirty. if you check at solenoid, you should get voltage to I term. of solenoid. usually it is something simple like that.especially when it quits suddenly.

Comment

Thanks tony!

I was able to get the starter to turn the engine the other day in the garage. Have now re***embled everything, and am waiting for a decent day to "hose test" the engine. I am looking forward to the sound!

Comment

now what?

I tried starting on the hose. The starter turned the engine very slowly (not enough to start). so I tested voltage at the solenoid input (the big wire from the remote control), the solenoid output (the big wire to the starter), and the starter input(from the solenoid). Here are the results--
        ign off ign on ign start

solenoid in 0.0 13.2 3.8
        solenoid out 0.0 0.0 3.8
        starter in 0.0 0.0 3.8

The low voltage in the start position concerned me, so I tried going directly to the starter from the battery +. There was a very strong spark, and the starter sounded strong. Soo, I am thinking it is a bad solenoid. Are there other tests I should perform on the solenoid?

Comment

Working...
        X