225 FICHT...Puzzled???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225 FICHT...Puzzled???

I have a 2000 225hp FICHT that had recently went out of commission. Due to what you ask? Me too...

Here's what happened...(get some popcorn)...One day, I go out to the river, drop the boat in and try to start it. Keep in mind, i've had the boat for 2 yrs now with no problems other than a lower unit going out, but no powerhead issues. It usually starts on the first crank too. Before the latter happened my motor would sometimes rev past 5500 RPM when WOT, which is unusual. I replace the plugs and hope it fix that but it didn't. Anyhow, I try and start it but it gives a weak crank, but nothing. It didn't turn over at all. I try a few times before I take off the engine cover to see if I can't spot the culprit while cranking. First crank with the cover off and "POP"! The cap that covers the starter flies off and into the river! DAMN! Okay, well I try just one more time...I turn the key and see the starter and flywheel chipping away at each other. Okay I quit...I load up and go home to check it out of the water. Come to find that my flywheel is missing a tooth. But would this cause the starter cap to fly off and the motor not to turn over?

Has anyone experienced this or know how this could've happened? Any help is welcomed and aprreciated. Thanks!

So where is the tooth? Can you turn the flywheel by hand ?

Comment

Working...
    X