Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Evinrude 15HP - E15RCIS

Hey guys,

I have an '81 Evinrude 15 (E15RCIS) short shaft that I just bought. I'm looking to convert it to a longshaft and electric start for use on my sailboat, but had some questions about the electric start modification.

Does Evinrude make a conversion kit, or do you have to buy the parts individually?

Does the flywheel have to be replaced in order to accomodate the electric starter?

Also, does anyone know if the mixture ratio is 100:1 or 50:1? Other?

Does anyone know where I can download or buy a service manual for this engine (other than Ebay)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Venture222; 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM.

I just converted a 1984 Evinrude Long shaft to short and have the Long shaft conversion parts if you are interested in making a deal for them.

Long Shaft
    Exhaust Housing extension
    Long Shift Rod
    Water intake tube extension
    Impeller Housing Extension

Service Manual
    392071 @ MarineEngine.com

Comment

Can you post a picture of the parts?

Do you know about how many hours are on that driveshaft? I'm just wondering about metal fatigue.

Also, is this the standard longshaft, or the sailmaster longshaft (really long one)?

Thanks!!

Comment

Do you want the SEL parts?

Mine are the standard 5" extension long shaft, not the SEL.

I have no idea on the hours. The motor was given to me and I went trough it and converted it to short shaft for duck hunting.

I ran the motor in a tank before converting it. The motor needed a lot of work to get in shape so I expect it has a lot of hours on it, but probably no more then any other 35 year old motor. After I went through it, it now runs great and starts first pull in below freezing weather. I did not have to do any major rebuild on the power head.

I doubt metal fatigue is a problem with the drive shaft, but maybe you know more. I wouldn't want a lot of $ for the parts and maybe even less if you were to send me the short shaft parts when you are done and confident in your conversion.

I'll try to get the pictures posted. It may take while as I'm traveling now.

Comment

Hey Mellonhead,

Sorry for the delayed reply. The 5" extension is exactly what I am looking for. I'd still like to see some pictures; but if you have all of the parts, then I'd be glad to buy them from you. How much money were you looking to get?

I want to keep the short shaft parts, just in case I ever need/want to go back to short shaft in the future.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm thinking $75 plus freight.

I got these part numbers from the 1984 15HP Parts catalog.

It shows and Exhaust Housing Seal 0326922 and and O-Ring 0202893 for the water tube that I don't have. Also you will need the o-ring for the drive shaft or you can use the one off your short shaft.

Also, these parts may have been put on my motor before I got it as a conversion.

I will include a water pump grommet from a kit that I believe is for the long shaft. I don't think the grommet is the same for a short shaft and long shaft.

I'll post the pictures in the reply. I won't be able to any thing until Thursday or Friday as I will be busy for a few days.

Comment

I'd say that you have yourself a deal. Am I understanding correctly that the only items missing from your parts are O-rings and a seal? If so, that's no big deal at all.

$75 sounds fair for the whole lot. Can you calculate a shipping cost to 13440 (Rome, NY)? If insurance is available for a reasonable amount of money, please include that. USPS is fine, if that works for you.

Comment

I sent you a Private Message.

Comment

Working...
                X