Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 175 hp Fitch won't start - HELP! in Guatemala

1998 Evinrude Ocean Pro 175 hp Fitch, Model E175FSLECS, Series G04460359

This motor (and boat) was purchased 2nd hand about a year ago when there was 316 hours on the meter. Over the last ten months I have put 106 hours on the motor and it was running fine right up until it quit. Actually, it had an occasional, one beat, miss that you would “sort of” notice every once in awhile but then ignore because some days it wouldn’t miss at all.

Anyway, my wife and I were returning to the dock at idle speed when the motor just quit – just like you had turned off the key. Well, we towed the boat to the local outboard shop and the owner/mechanic with some thirty years of experience has decided that what he calls the “power pack” is bad. He has no real test equipment but he says there is no spark and I believe him. He is a good guy and wants to do his best.

Did I mention he is Guatemalan? Did I mention we are on the Rio Dulce in Guatemala? Did I mention there is no “real” Evinrude dealer nearby?

Do you think an ignition module will fix the problem? If not; what? Are these motors worth fixing (I am talking about a $1,500 or so repair)? I suppose I could just walk away from the motor; I did not pay all that much for it (part of a nice 19’ Cobia/motor/trailer deal for $5,500) but those nice new etecs are expensive down here in Guatemala. Any thoughts on the matter will be appreciated.

dead?

dont know about the 98 rude but mine did the same thing and it was the rectifier/regulator but my motor is older 87 xp150 so i dont know if yours even has rectifier or not. hopes this helps.

Comment

I'm having the same problem with a 200. Coming back in from a trip at Idle it just dies like a key off.

Not a power pack issue. Mine starts after 10mins at rest. Prior to that no crank at all. I have replaced the key ***embly.

Try that.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X