Lower Unit Removal for Water Pump Rep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Removal for Water Pump Rep

New Member. 1975 70hp 3 cylinder Evinrude. Sorry if this has already been discussed. Could not find one. I removed all bolts indicated in manual to remove the lower unit. I managed to move it about 1/16 of an inch only. I hit it with a rubber mallet and with a metal hammer through a 2 X 4. I am afraid to hit it any more, and reluctant to pound wedges in the crack for fear of damage. I want to change the water pump. Is it normal for the lower unit to offer such resistance ? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank You.

water pump replacement

there should a window on the midsection. take cover off shiftrod con. loosen bolt lower unit will fall off in your hand.

Comment

Inspection Window

My motor does not have an inspection window. Perhaps that is a feature on an older model ?

Comment

Originally posted by rustineyes View Post
        New Member. 1975 70hp 3 cylinder Evinrude. Sorry if this has already been discussed. Could not find one. I removed all bolts indicated in manual to remove the lower unit. I managed to move it about 1/16 of an inch only. I hit it with a rubber mallet and with a metal hammer through a 2 X 4. I am afraid to hit it any more, and reluctant to pound wedges in the crack for fear of damage. I want to change the water pump. Is it normal for the lower unit to offer such resistance ? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thank You.
        These are a bit difficult, you must remove the shift rod retainer. It is located beneath the carburetors.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Shift Rod

I did disconnect the shift rod under the carburetor. Still won't budge. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

If it still will not budge, make sure all bolts are removed. sometimes they hide one under the trim tab. If not then the lower unit may be corroded on and requires carefull tapping with a rubber mallot.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X