Lots of problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of problems

I have an 88 evinrude 25. It sometimes runs good sometimes does not. It is now popping and sputtering and will not get the boat on plane it bogs down and almost cuts off. Before this when it ran decent i would be goin and the motor sounded as if it was spark knocking for a minute then turn it to a hum and pick up speed. I have to find a median in the throttle or it bogs down. It is fouling the bottom plug but not the top, but i am gettin a with it. I have had the carb cleaned, new plugs. I dont know what else to try, any ideas?

May have an ignition problem, check spark at plugs to see if has good fire and run ignition test on ignition system.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

I had a simular problem. The coils in my 4hp had small cracks in them. When the engine warmed up to operating temp, the spark voltage took the path of least resistance to ground - threw the cracks in the coil, not to the spark plug. This was an intermittant problem. Drove me crazy. These cracks are so small you can hardly see them with your eye. I replaced both coils, both points and both spark plug wires. Problem solved!

Comment

Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Motor is running to lean. Carb may need a good cleaning. Ron

Comment

electrical

When That thing is running smooth and then all of sudden it starts acting up ,reach back there and smack that power pack with a screw driver or something.See if it don't kick in and out. I had an 70 hp evinrude .I rebuilt carbs,gas lines,coils, and to find out power pack wires had got HOT and melted together. hope this helps

Comment

Working...
          X