1996 60 HP Evinrude won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 60 HP Evinrude won't start

tiller steer, electric tilt and trim, 3 cyclinder, not oil injected.

Problem started about a month ago. Engine started gettting fussy at start-up but only occasionally. I just aszumed it was time for some new plugs. I got the new plugs but that didn't fix the problem. It also started to stall at idle after a couple of minutes of idling.

Problem escalates and last weekend it wouldn't start after a morning of starting 5-6 times jumping from fishing spot to spot.

I get back to the hill and start diagnosing. Plugs are sparking when I turnover the engine and hold a plug up to the engine block.

Fuel is flowing, the screen in the pump had a couple particles in it but wasn't clogged. Fuel flowing all the way to the carbs, pulled the carbs and they were clean as a whistle and no blockages.

When I crank the engine I don't get any kind of sputter of life, it almost seems like the kill switch tether was pullled and I'm trying to start it without that being back on, it just turns over with no results, no almost wanting to fires sounds or anything.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Matt

After trying to start it with choke are the plugs wet? I don't know your motor so I'm just throwing out some thoughts. If they are wet then it's a spark or timing issue. If they are dry, fog the carbs with a little fuel mix and see if it fires, if it does then you have a fuel problem that you have missed.

Comment

Check the timing advance spring

This happened to me. There is a little cheap plastic part that holds a spring that sets the timing advance to the right position. If that's wrong the whole motor is obviously not going to run, or may run poorly. So, its a little plastic part up at the top just under the flywheel on the same side of the motor as the your throttle. Its attached to the top of the throttle mechanism, that should be connected to your throttle controls. Basically, if the plastic part pops off its just flopping around loose and your timing advance can be moved left or right without anything to hold it in place.

Just pop it back in.

There is a little plastic ball joint with a cheap plastic retaining ring that's supposed to hold this in place. Its all cheap plastic so go figure how or why this thing can basically pop out at any time and kill your motor ;-)

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
      X