1998 Evinrude Ocean Pro 150 Intermitten Horn Water Fuel Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Evinrude Ocean Pro 150 Intermitten Horn Water Fuel Sensor

This outboard has been great it currently has 390 hours and all the maintenance has been kept up. This year I got a horn activation and a check engine light came on. No reduction in power when horn activates and it also activates at different speeds sometimes even at idle. The horn sounds for about 10 seconds and then goes off. The Check Engine light stays lit for about 30 seconds and then also goes off.

I took the boat to the local dealer for service and they had it on the computer showing a Water in Fuel code causing the horn activation. The fuel sensor has been redesigned in newer models. The dealer suggested disableing the sensor as it was no longer manufactured. They also suggested to change the fuel filter twice a season with this sensor disabled.

So that is where I am. The sensor is disabled. The wire for the sensor is taped and tied off as to no make ground. The sensor removed and a plug placed in the bottom of the fuel filter housing.

I put the boat in that water and within thirty minutes the horn activated again with the check engine light. Same deal the horn stopped after about 10 seconds and the Check Engine light went out after about 30 seconds.

How can I be getting a water in fuel alam with no sensor in place? What can I do to correct this frustrating issue? Any suggestion would help.

Thanks

Get a second opinion. Seems like a shady dealer to just diable the alarm. There is a reason for the alarm and if it's going off there's a reason. Have you changed your water separator before? Mine looks kind of like an oil filter that sits behind the air box. If it's full it seems to me that could be the issue. Also, maybe you do have water in the fuel. How old is your gas?

Comment

Default 1998 Evinrude Intruder 150 Intermittent Horn Water Fuel Sensor

I'm having the same problem as Chris only I haven't progressed to the point of disabling the water fuel sensor. My shop tech says the diagnostic code indicates water in the fuel, but he has clearly ascertained that is not the case. Hence he suspects a bad sensor. The problem is that this sensor is no longer available and he has not been able to find one at salvage. He wants to work around the sensor in some way or another (perhaps, cutting a wire, or splicing in a part that gives the proper resistance to signal normal condition). I'm worried that either fix will result in the problem re-occuring as it did for Chris. I have two questions. First, any other ideas as to what might be the problem other than the sensor? Second, does anyone have or know where we can get a used sensor? The tech has tried the Bombardier used parts line but didn't find one listed. Thanks in advance for any help or advice any one can give.

Comment

Working...
      X