1984 Evinrude 35 HP ?????????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Evinrude 35 HP ?????????????????

I have 3 questions about a model E35ELCRR electric start.

I was looking for a few parts at Boats.Net, and on the Cylinder & Crankcase diagram on their website I found a part that is missing on my engine, or else the diagram is wrong. And the missing part could be part of an ongoing problem I've had since I bought the boat in 1985. Imagine that.....

Here is the link to the diagram, the parts I'm refering to are to the upper right side.

1984 E35ELCRR Evinrude / Johnson Evinrude CYLINDER & CRANKCASE Diagram and Parts

The part is called a FF Bearing clamp. In the diagram it is #68, and it shows 2 of them. They hold the FF bearing #56 snug around the FF control lever #37 with 2 screws #40 that go into the starter bracket #55 bottom right.

The problem is there is only one bearing clamp on my engine. Looking at the diagram it would be the one on the right.

The engine ran good all those years but there was a lot of play in the start lever. I replaced all the cables last year and it helped some. That's when I noticed there seamed to be a good bit of movement in the FF bearing and at the pin #41. Then last week it let me set on the Susquehanna River in southern PA. And that's not a good thing, we were just above the Conowingo Dam, I'm talking a BIG DAMN DAM. I couldn't get it to run fast enough to get the start lever latched and in gear without it shutting off. My buddie was freakin out, I mean he must have a lot to live for. He said, "If we can't keep it running what are we gonna do?" I said, "Die!" Anyway I finally got it and we survived.

I want to replace the bearing and pin and I would like to know if there is supposed to be 2 of the clamps. Or is the bearing just sandwiched between 1clamp and the starter bracket the way it is now.

I also think I know that the slop in that bearing and pin can make it hard to synchronize the timing and throttle. It seams whenever everything else is right on, the throttle plate is little bit past flat, and I had to back off on the throttle lever to get full speed.

One more thing, last spring I noticed one of the plug wires was showing cracks. It was a holiday weekend and I wanted to fish, so I went to a local speed shop thinking they would have some high end wire kits. I got lucky, at least I think I did. They sold me a few feet of Magstar Stainless Steel Marine Ignition Cable SAEJ2031 and 8 boots, the boots were to long to use on the coil so I cut about 3/16" off. It ran fine all last year, but then a guy I know told me you are supposed to use some kind of special wires on an outboard. Is this true or is he full of $#!^ ????

Here is a link to read about the wires;

WIRETEC - Magstar Marine

I hope the wires are fine because they really are trick, instead of bland black ones!!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by JABIII; 07-14-2011, 01:41 AM.

48 hits, no replies.

What did I do wrong that I'm getting no replies???

Comment

Working...
    X