2004 250hp DI Ficht-questions about small issues I'm having

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 250hp DI Ficht-questions about small issues I'm having

Got a new to me boat engine, a 2004 250hp ficht/Direct injection. Strong engine with plenty of power compared to my older carburated 225 hp Johnson I had before. It is much more efficient too but I have had a couple of minor issues so far. Running XD 50 in it and it's sipping gas and oil which is nice.

It's hesitating a bit up to about 3000 RPMs, at which point it is smooth and steady increase in power. Almost like it's coughing or misfiring a bit on the way up in RPMs. It's accelerating but just not smooth. I've replaced the plugs, though my rookie self couldn't get them properly indexed but they are new plugs. I'm going to work on trying to index them but I'm hoping that's not the issue. Any suggestions on what to check? Not fuel related as it's all clean gas and I've eliminated that.

Second issue is that the motor will cut off if I don't baby it from reverse to neutral, forward to neutral,etc. It will cut right out if I make that transition too quickly. Any ideas or adjustments I can make? I've heard that this may be a fuel mapping issue?

Lastly, there is a rattling sound when running under load sometimes that sounds like a piece of sheet metal being rattled. Not sure if somethign is loose under there and vibrating but I have no idea where to start looking for this.

Thanks for all the help!

I would recommend taking to a local Johnson/Evinrude dealer. They can put the computer on it and check for problems. You should also have them look into the rattling, sounds like lower unit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X