Lower gearcase....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower gearcase....

Possibly I made a mistake. I do not have much experience with boats, but I do have a lot of mechanical experience.
    I gave someone $100.00 to hold a boat I intend to purchase. The gentleman who owned the boat deceased and after about 5 years the widow is now selling it. Someone had it running with muffs about 2-3 years ago. She said everything always worked great.
    Looked it the b*** boat at dusk with a flashlight as aid. It has a '78 or '79 55hp Evinrude. the flywheel rotates, and the prop spins freely. I did not have anything in gear when I rotated either one. I pulled the lower drain plug and got about a tablespoon of oil and water. I could not find any cracks anywhere. I do know what water does to bearings and such, but since the prop spun so freely, and the prop is the lowest part, I figured it was probably ok.
    Does this sound like I just need to replace some seals and such, or should I just say goodbye to the $100.00 and walk away.It is a 1978 fisher marine flat bottom b*** boat with a troller and a depth finder. Selling price is $1100.00

Thanks

The lower unit seals are most likely need replace. The amount of damage to the interior gears depends on the length of time the water has been sitting in there.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X