Cant get 55 hp to WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant get 55 hp to WOT

Hey guys i have a 79 model 55hp and under load i cannot get it to wot. Some background, A 79 model 55hp on a 17' carolina skiff that i cannot get on plane, max speed so far is 12 mph and i do not have a tach but do not feel like i am getting much over half out of it, would say no more than 3000 rpm, can wathc timing advance move forward and dont seem to gain any rpms as butterflys open the rest of the way up , i have rebuilt carbs, put on new fuel pump, checked compression (108 and 110), tried grounding out plug wire to make sure both cylinders firing, check timing with light per manual. Have changed from 17 pitch prop to 15 to 13 and gained a little with each change but very little, with the 13 pitch has gotten me the most rpms and speed (12) so far but still only feels like half what it should. Also had new cdi unit(?) (electical box just behind electic choke switch) Any suggestions do you think the coils could be breaking down? Is this too much boat its 17' long 65" wide flat bottom wieghs bout 900lbs empty i think One other quirk i have installed a small gl*** housing with filter in fuel line and after pumping the bulb and starting the motor the gl*** slowly goes empty, but motor still idles fine! Thanks for any input, its bout to drive me crazy!

In this situation I recommend taking to an authorized Johnson/Evinrude service department. It sounds like you have covered all the bases.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X