98 Ficht- injector or spark plug wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Ficht- injector or spark plug wire

I have a 1998 Ficht 150- and yes I’m aware of its history, I got it new in 03/98.
    I’ve got the updates and have pampered it for 13 years- still fires up on the 1st cylinder up and ….(don’t want to jinx myself)- I’m happy its lasted this long-
    A couple of nuisance topics though-
    1) If you’re not supposed to put shims on the spark plugs to index them- without buying a couple of hundred- how can you get them in the index range of the pinned head? I swear I’ve got about 15 plugs that were all threaded identical- and all land 180deg from the pin. Do you keep buying plugs till they fit? Why not shim?
    2) The past 2 or 3 years I’ve had a little hesitation in idle and low RPM- perhaps a misfire is a better word. The engine starts great- and runs fine- but there is an intermittent, non-cyclical misfire that increases frequency somewhat from 1k-2k into 3k and 4k. Above 4k I think it just gets drowned out in the high RPM range. I have no loss or RPM, and the power seems to be ok. The motor doesn’t run ‘rough’, but you can feel and see a bit of vibration in the boat. If I were to compare the ‘feel’ of it- think of an old farm tractor in idle- how it has a rhythm- and just once in a while an extra ‘pop’.
    -But- a couple of outings ago- after taking a WOT lap or 2, then shutting down to beach- when I took off again there it seemed to be so rough at high rpm, 4k and above, that the motor had no guts (from a whole shot). I shut off the engine- pulled the hood- checked wires (?)- Started it up again- and it seemed to be ok for the rest of the outing (slight misfire was still present though). Since then I can tell that some ‘dynamic’ has changed at WOT- I still can jump on it from 1k to 55k and have power out of the hole and maintain the rpm- but I may be feeling that misfire at the top end now. (funny thing is the last 2 or 3 years the dash tack can get into 6200rpm if I let it-( I thought 5600 was top end)- ( I keep it to 5400)
    Anyway- I’ve long suspected a fuel injector since I had it in for repair years ago and the mech touched and possibly rotated the screen- but I’ve also suspected the plug wires because some don’t ‘pop’ on the plug like they should. I replaced a wire tonight because it would grip the plug- and actually pushed itself off the plug (air pressure in the boot). Its spring clip was broken – I don’t like ‘making’ plug wires, but that’s all the local dealer had. Something else – the plug wire I took off had a busted spring clip on it- but the cable resistance was 21k ohms. What’s up with that?? The one I made and put in was 2ohms. I also found 2 plugs (1 with a shim and the one with suspect plug wire) both had a lot of carbon on them.
    After the new wire- out for a ride. Started right up- WOT out of the hole, throttle up/down/goose it/punch it/ WOT for 5 miles…the misfire is there- ever so slightly, and there is a slight vibration or pulsing harmonic at WOT. But no loss of power or RPM, but you can tell that something’s different
    I have the software for diagnostics- would I be correct is ***uming that if I can maintain the ‘misfire’ at 2krpm, and dropping the cylinder it goes away that its either that injector or plug wire? Or should I just replace the plug wires as well (others don’t grip and their resistance is high as well)
    I know I’m limping on this motor. Mechanics and parts are huge $$$$ for this engine- and the motto has been- if it starts and runs- “don’t throw lots of $$$$ in it”, because if it goes in for major repair- it’s coming out a Merc.

thanks
    Wayne

We haven't been a Johnson/Evinrude dealer long enough to have any experience with the Ficht engines and we don't have full set of service manuals on them, hopefully someone else can that is more familiar with them can give you some better information on it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

As far as the carboning goes, I run Evinrude's carbon guard with every tank. It is typical for there to be some carbon on the plugs. Also Note "Note: Engine with an excess of 100hrs of operation and not previously treated with Carbon Guard should be treated with Evinrude Johnson Engine Tuner before beginning us of Carbon Guard."

I would replace the wires also since they will probably need replaceing in the near future and that may eliminate the problem.

There should be an injector test you can do with the software. I would try that.
      Good luck - report back with findings.
      BTW I love my Ficht too.

Comment

Working...
      X