Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine died while running, now won't even crank

Hi,
    I have a 2000 200HP E200FPXSSH that has been running fine all year.
    I was out today running between fishing spots and, with no warning, the engine hesitated slightly then died. No CEL, no horn, no other warning lights. Engine won't even crank. When I turn the key on, I get the test lights and horn, but that's it.
    I checked the fuses and they are all good. Battery appears to be good as dash voltmeter shows about 12v (was running fine all day stopping and starting at various spots).
    I had the EMM rebuilt last year due to a failure (engine died, CEL came on, engine would crank but not start).
    Any ideas on where to start?
    Thank you,
    Bob
    Last edited by fireman_bob; 09-25-2011, 09:35 PM.

Are you saying it won't turn over or anything? If this is the case, double check all fuses, check your safety kill switches and neutral switches. If none of these will allow your engine to turn over then your next option is to take to your local dealer for further diagnostic.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Yes. That's the case. Further testing showed all the proper voltages at the PDP pins with the key on. Fuses and relay's are all good. Have power to the EMM. No communication over the serial link.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not believe that the computer will interupt the starter relay/solenoid. I recommend checking the start solenoid, maybe by p***ing to see if engine will start. Also check your wire harness.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

According to my wiring diagram it sure does. The EMM controls the ground to the fuel pump relay (brown wire to PDP/EMM) and the ground/coil to the start delay relay (brown & gray wires to EMM), neither of which are working in my case. How familiar are you with this particular engine?

Comment

Unfortunately not very and unfortunately I do not hove access to the service manual. If you are certain that the computer is not allowing the motor to start, your best option is to take to a local dealer.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

I've pulled the EMM and sent it to DFI Technologies in Alabama. They will be able to verify if it's bad and repair it if it is.
              Thanks.

Comment

I was just going to suggest that. I hear good things about them. I had an EMM go last year and took it to the dealer..... a grand later the motor runs great but I believe DFI is quite a bit cheaper. If I have problems in the future I will definately send it to them. Keep us posted.

Comment

So the EMM was found to be bad by DFI and they repaired it. I've installed it and the tngine runs, but won't go above 3500 rpm and feels "rough". I need to set the timing. Can anyone please explain the procedure using the EVDiagnostic software?
                  When I go into the ignition timing section of the software and hit the set timing button, the engine always stalls. I can restart it, but the software is now disconnected.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Unfortunately the computers have to be programmed by an authorized dealer. The require the dealer program and the software to be downloaded from the Dealer website.
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Well, no, not really. I've successfully set the timing using the diagnostic software (the instructions are in the help section of the software). I had to idle up the engine a bit to keep it from stalling, but other than that (and the blown coil on #4 cylinder) it's working.
                      With all due respect Mr. moderator, your advice is not really helpful to people looking to do their own repair work (which is well within their means with the diagnostic software tools), especially since you call this a "how to" forum. A "How to" reply of "bring everything to a dealer" is not helpful.
                      Last edited by fireman_bob; 10-17-2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

EMM Timing?

I sent my ECU (EMM) three times to DFI for different issues. All three times I did not have to touch or set the timing. This was off a 1999 200HP ficht. Have you contacted DFI with the RPM issue?

Comment

DFI told me to verify the timing since I had a new board put into my DMM. The repair manual also says to verify the timing if the EMM is replaced.
                          Last year I had my EMM repaired and it was my same board, just the outputs were blown (handful of 8's errors). DFI honored their warranty this time around. Good bunch of guys there and they do good work.

I believe the idle issue is due to the coil on #4 being bad. Not sure if it's related to the bad EMM or not, but nothing in electronics seems to be a coincidence.

I'll report back once I replace the coil for #4/6.

Comment

Working...
                          X