Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 135hp Evinrude Starflite Issue

Hello everyone,

My first time on the forums so thanks for having me, i just bought a boat a month ago with a 1975 Evinrude 135hp Silver Starflite.
    When i bought it, the motor didn't run idle very well, hose lines were old and starting to crack, so i replaced all of the lines, drained all the gas and did routine maintenance to it.
    New plugs, cleaned and rebuilt carbs, new fuel pump, new gas lines. Compression is pretty even across the board and i'm getting nice hot blue spark on all plugs.

The issue i'm having now is that its having trouble starting, i literally have to choke it everytime to start it, and even then it takes several attempts at cranking it before it completely fires up. Sometimes it cranks and fires up and dies immediately. Sometimes it doesnt fire up at all. When it does fire up i have to lift the throttle up for a couple minutes before it will stay idle.

When it does idle, i cant put it in WOT, about halfway opening the throttle it bogs down and dies. The only way i can get it to WOT is to open the throttle halfway so the boat goes slow and then push the key choke a little then I can push it to WOT. Even when i have it at WOT, the boat lifts up like its getting ready to go, but it only planes out sometimes. More than half the time when I try the choke method the boat lifts like it usually does before it planes out but it doesn't.

I'm thinking i'm not getting enough gas, or perhaps i need to reclean the carbs again, but i'm not sure. I know the carbs were spotless when I cleaned and rebuilt them. Should you see gas spraying from the carbs into the engine itself? Cause when i run the boat with the cover off and the intake cover off, i cant see any gas spraying from the jets on the carbs.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i would check fuel pump presure

Comment

Sounds like there is a block air or fuel p***age in the carburetors. Try recleaning and soaking the carbs. Be sure to check every air/fuel p***age prior to re***embly. Also check Idle Air Adjustment screw.
      Last edited by boats.net; 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
      X