1978 35hp issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 35hp issues

It is a new motor to me, and I know little about it. It has 120 pounds compression in both cylinders.I cleaned and blew out the p***ages in the carb. I replaced the plugs. It will start and run at mid and high rpms. Under mid range it backfires (or something like it). It won't idle at all. It puffs air out from behind the fuel filter with each backfire. Any ideas?

Check to make sure you are getting fuel to the carburetor. Does it spit fuel out the carburetor? Check the timing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Update on 35hp issue

The motor isn't backfiring. It is compressed air in the hose from the byp*** cover to the intake manifold. It burned a hole through the hose. I replaced the hose, and it burned through again in 10 seconds. It isn't a constant flow, but more like a big blast every few seconds. It won't idle, but runs ok at mid and high rpms. ???

Comment

Could have bad reeds, could still be a carburetion issue, could be incorrect timing, its really hard to say without having direct access to the vessel. At this point I recommend taking to an authorized dealer.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X