1977 Evidrude remote controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 Evidrude remote controller

I am looking for information on how to remove the cover housing on a 1977 70 HP Evinrude remote control. Best I can tell I have all the screws off. It seems to be pressed on perhaps to the shift/throttle plate. As the cover looks like it is cast aluminum I don't want to pry on it too much.

Don't know which style control box you have but some of the dual lever side mount boxes had screws on both sides that had to be removed.
    Last edited by boats.net; 05-03-2010, 12:35 PM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

1977 Remote

This is the one I have:

Evinrude Parts 1977 140783S 1977 REMOTE CONTROL Diagram

Comment

The bottom cover will come off under control lever but the control lever has to be removed to get side cover off.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

1977 Remote

We got the control lever off and all the screws out we could find, but it seems the top side cover is still being held on by something. We pried a bit, but don't want to risk breaking the cast aluminum. There is no movement in the cover. I am missing something.

Comment

Lots of experience with this

I have a 70 HP that I have re-installed on a duck boat and fought with the control box a lot. I am doing this from memory, and it has been a couple of months, but... you should have 6 phillips head stainless screws, 3 from each side, and an allen head removed from the center of the shift lever, and three standard heads from the pad that covers the top. That is all the connectors. The control body is in three pieces, and at least one of them should come off. The center pivot of the shift lever can be tight so you may have to take a large flat blade screwdriver and gently pry between the cam lever that actates the throttle and the cam lever that activates the transmission. You should be able to get them to seperate by gently prying between part#2 and part # 65 on your diagram. Try to keep the control on a flat surface, because there is a ball bearing that identifies the shift detents and it will be loose if you pry up the flange that part#2 sits on. The ball bearing is backed by a spring, and there is a cover over the spring that you will have to remove to re***emble if the ball bearing comes out. You might also try tapping around the edge of the case where it seperates with a small hammer, as you may have some corrosion inside if any water ever go into the case. I have three of these controls and there was some corrosion or oxidation on the inside of one of the controls.

Good luck, and if you run into any questions about re***embly, I will try to help.

Comment

Working...
            X