no compressionI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no compressionI

I have a 1984, 2hp evinrude which was running with 110 psi compression. It suddenly died and compression dropped to almost zero. Found a whole in the end of the piston ( I suspect an improper plug with long threads). Changed the piston and had 120 psi. It fired up very briefly. died and now have very little compression. Perhaps piston was ok and have another problem. Gas appears to be running out the carb and exhaust. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Cooki2; 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM.

Well the piston is not supposed to have a hole in it. Carburetion can be a problem. Be sure you are mixing the right oil/fuel ratio. If you have low compression there will be excess fuel/oil coming out exhaust, but not the carburetor. If your carb is leaking fuel then it should be removed, cleaned, adjusted and reinstalled.
    Last edited by boats.net; 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

It is the lack of compression that has go me baffled. It has new piston and rings, the valves look good, and it has good spark. What else could drop the compression so drastically? It doesn't even backfire. No response at all.

Comment

damaged cylinder, piston/rings, blown head gasket. Those are the most prominent.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X