91 48spl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 48spl

This is my first post fellas, take it easy on me! I just replaced the seals in my lower unit. Using my manual, and this exploded view, it all seemed to go back together nicely. I then realized the gearcase was in neutral, and will not engage in either gear by hand. Being my first time working on it, I stopped there. Any ideas? I'm waiting for a new water pump to arrive, but I need to figure this out before I mess up something else.... Please help! Thx

Not sure what all you taken apart but sounds like something is not ***embled properly on shifter inside gearcase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

That's the ting, all I had to do is unscrew the shift shaft and screw it back in 9 turns. Everything was fine at that point, I did the prop shaft last, and then noticed the issue

Comment

try spinning the propeller shaft while attempting to place into gear.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Evinrude Outboard Parts

Comment

I did try that. Like I said, I didn't see the problem until I did the prop shaft seals. I may just take the prop bearing housing out again and take a look in there. I should be getting my impelled kit Thursday, so ill mess with it then. I was just hoping this may have rung a bell with someone who's had this happen. Hopefully I didn't break anything on the shifter. Thanks

Comment

I have the prop shaft bearing housing out, when I shift by hand, the entire prop shaft moves. If I try to install the housing, it pushes in the shaft with it. When the housing seats, nothing is engaged, and will not shift by hand. Should I continue, and dis***emble the shift shaft? Keep in mind I only unscrewed the shaft upon initial dis***embly

Comment

Ok, got it. It seems the shifter may have gotten out of position, adjacent to shift rod? If not that, then it is just shifting a little harder than I thought it should have, and thought it may have been jammed up. Thanks for the help though, I will definitely be back something tells me w some Carb issues next

Comment

Working...
              X